Check out our Game Rules here
- We don’t like drama – fun is our number one priority during Footy competitions.
- To prevent injuries shin pads are strongly recommended.
- A 7 vs. 7 team consists of 6 outfield players and a goal keeper.
- Matches are two 25 minute halves with a 5 minute break between them.
- Let’s skip cardio. Matches are played on a half-sized soccer field.
- With a goal area of 8m x 20m (8.7 x 21.9 yards), the keeper has more than enough space to work his magic. If lines are not included, it’s the referee who has the final say.
- The penalty spot is at 8m (8.7 yards) from the goal.
- Keep your distance: players must be 7m (7.7 yards) from a free-kick.
- Goals are typically 16 ft x 6.5 ft.
- Since we’re an adult soccer league, players under the age of 17 are ineligible to play in the league.
- Teams can have a maximum of 13 players.
- If there is a suspicion of an illegal player, the Footy staff has the right to take appropriate action. At minimum, the illegal player(s) must be removed for the duration of the match. A violation may result in the game being forfeited. Let’s not go there, okay?
Most important rules
- Let’s not break each other’s arms or legs, play nice.
- Sometimes it’s OK to follow the rules – so yeah, follow the general soccer rules unless noted here.
- There are no slide tackles allowed. If you slide with another player around it is punished by an indirect free kick and a yellow card.
- Goalkeepers are the exception to this rule. They are free to slide as long as it’s not dangerous.
- A back pass to the keeper may not be handled by the goalkeeper.
- Speaking of the keeper, they cannot punt the ball more past the half-way line. If there’s no line, it will be the referee’s discretion.
- There are no throw in’s, instead we’re keeping it on the ground. Out of bounds will result in an indirect kick.
- All free kicks are indirect.
- Free kicks may be taken immediately unless the referee says otherwise.
- There’s no offsides. So, defenders – be on your toes.
- Be on time: A team that is 10 minutes late begins 1-0 behind, a team that is 15 minutes late loses the game 3-0. Show up early to stretch and catch up with your team, and avoid penalties.
- Believe us when we say: you don’t want a yellow card. A player who receives a yellow card will be sent from the field for 3 minutes and the team must continue minus one player. Say goodbye to those beers your teammates promised to get you after the match. Ouch.
- Didn’t learn your lesson? A second yellow card results in a red card and the team has to play the rest of the game minus one player. Well done, bro.
- Red cards have consequences. You’ll be suspended for one game, at a minimum, depending on the type of offense.
- If your team really goes crazy and receives 2 red cards, the match is ceased and the game is forfeited
- Violence is not our thing. Punishments range from long term suspensions to permanent exclusion, depending on the offense. So, keep the brawling for your kick boxing classes.
- Remember that the referee is always right. Treat them with respect.
Man of the Match
- The referee chooses a Man of the Match. This hero receives a coin that can be exchanged at a bar for a discount or something similar. They also receive bragging rights, which is almost better than a free drink.
- And that’s not all. The player that wins the most ‘Man of the Match’ awards at the end of the season, will receive a trophy and the coveted title; ‘Player of the Season’. So be sure to bring your A-game.
With whom do you want to play
With Footy you choose with whom and against whom you are playing.